#ThreeRiversChallenge January First In First Out Pantry Challenge 2024

sometimes I feel like I'm just looking for pictures in the pantry just like this recipe print we have in our kitchen.  

 I'm not doing this to a T, but it's my first time making a concentrated effort to prepare most, if not everything from our pantry and freezers.  

This month so far I  prepared a spiral ham that was purchased on special during the holidays, we enjoyed it for a few days, then I cut the rest of the meat off the bone and froze both, just seperately.  I see split pea soup in our future. 

A locally raised organic chicken was taken from the freezer and roasted.  Dinner was roasted chicken with potatoes and canned vegetables.  Last of the meat was picked off.   Stock was made, and then dehydrated veggies were added to it.  Last I added 1/2 cup of rice and then stirred in the rest of the meat.  

We had Christmas leftovers (meatballs and eggplant) that I had frozen Christmas Night, knowing it would not be eaten the next few days as there were other choices.  

While we did our holiday shopping at Costco, we picked up a whole pork loin for just .99 a pound with an instant coupon.  $8 for 8 pounds.  I cut it into a large roast and then 12 thick pork chops.   5 chops were cooked for dinner with rice and vege from the freezer.   Rest of meat frozen.

Chili was taken out of the freezer, bulked up with some rice.  Saltines or homemade bread were there for those who wanted it.  That was 2 dinners. 

I took a turkey out of the freezer.  Once defrosted we will enjoy it with cranberry sauce and freshly baked bread. 

Ziti with Jarred pumpkin and vodka sauces   Homemade bread.

Cabbage Pepper and Onions pulled from the freezer.  DH makes fun of me that I prep so many veggies, but days I'm very tired is why I do it.  

DS made egg salad, tuna pasta salad and I did splurge and buy bagels and cream cheese from Bagelicious the last Sunday of the month.   $21.50 for 13 bagels and 16 ounced of whipped cream cheese.  The bagels were huge.  

As of the 22nd the kitchen freezer was starting to show lots of space.  

I made pea soup with some of the leftover ham.   Lots of leftovers, didn't need to do this. 

Bread was made every 2 or 3 days.   See Einkorn Bread

Marinated pork loin from freezer, turnips and broccoli from freezer

shrimp and corn chowder with homemade bread.  Used 12 oz of shrimp, cut each one in thirds. 

DS made baked polenta, and brought home two containers of chili from a church event. 


I'm going to continue to empty out the house without going to the store to much.  






Comments

  1. I have been searching overstuffed freezer for food already prepared or something on the front to prepare rather than buying something else. I rarely have frozen vegetables prepared and frozen because we just eat it all before it is time to freeze.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions