Cooking these past weeks (sort of)

 

Roasting potatoes, onions and peppers


Last week  Early April I had taken the last turkey out of the freezer.  It was over 20 lbs!  It finally defrosted (still had some chunks of ice that I could pull out of interior on Saturday) and I roasted it after teaching.  Once cooled I cut all the meat off, including the dark meat.  Also made Stock.   Didn't make any sides, just cranberry sauce and turkey.  Also had the first of our garden asparagus and onion greens. 

Sunday I was not up to making the usual breakfast.  Just English muffins with cherry preserves for DH and sourdough toast for me (my own sourdough) with Christmas Jam.   Pops had toast, yogurt (homemade) and later some more Turkey and Cranberry Sauce.  

Lunch was turkey sandwiches with pesto.  Mini cukes and chips.  

Dinner was a frozen pizza. Pops also had more Turkey. 

Yes, we were light on the vegetables.  I've had to break through flares, two days in a row.  I hope by time you read the end of the week things will look different.  

Monday meatloaf made with oats instead of bread crumbs.  Tossed salad and Baked Roasted Potatoes.  The first asparagus from the garden with fresh onion tops.  

Tuesday I made split pea soup with the stock I made on Sunday.  Used a hamsteak from Nodine's that DH received as a gift. 

Wednesday was leftovers/Fend for yourself

Thursday was shrimp with spinach over rice  cocktail. 

I don't know what happened Friday and Saturday.  My flare went into overdrive.  Lots of pain and cramping.  I've had so many good days on my new treatment, so this really kicked my butt.  I left the studio on Friday and stayed home Saturday.  Unlike me.  

So, above was written several weeks ago.    Since then I saw my GI (I love Dr. Chang) and we upped my infusions back to every 6 weeks.  The last two treatments were 8 weeks, and it's not enough.  

In between we have been eating salads (homemade or the ones from GreenCup) meatloaf, chips and salsa, cheese and veggies.  Some evenings PB and J.  Fruit.  Not really any organized cooking as I tried to get back into normalcy physically. 

Today as I write this, I baked some Italian sausage, sauted broccoli rabe, sauted Fiddle heads (a once a year treat) and am roasting potatoes, peppers and onions.      I've been making a protein twice a week, and it lasts for as long as we can stand it.  



                                Fiddle Heads                                                            Rabe




Comments