For the Cost of a Tank of Gas, We Fulfilled a Once in a Lifetime Dream

DH took Monday April 8th off, he had planned this day for months.  

We left the house at 7 am.  We drove for 5 hours to Vergennes Vermont.  We took 91N to 84 and got off at Route 7 to take backroads all the way.  

We brought water and coffee (of course)  We stopped twice for bathroom breaks and once for gas.   DH was prepared with 2 solar telescopes, solar binoculars and battery backups.  Of course we had the usual solar paper glasses too. 

We were quite impressed with the local Vermont News Radio station.   Schools were closed, and the station recommended heading to school yards.  So we went to the local highschool.  It was not crowded at all.  I counted at the highest point 20 vehicles.  We set up in the parking lot.  Families with children and couples our age and older.  2 fellows with motorized para sail seats.  







Heading home was also uneventful.  We did stop for food on way home.  I had eaten at 6 am, and DH did get donuts along the way.   Long day, but the excitement in my husbands face and voice was well worth it.  Did your family do any eclipse activities?

 

Comments

  1. I was excited, too. Solar binoculars? I needed those. I sat in the yard, waited for clouds to go away and got to see most of the eclipse before the clouds covered the sun. I took a picture with my camera that looked like the first picture, sort of smeared. I thought the lens was dirty. Then, I took others. With the paper glasses lens cut and taped to front of my camera, I never could tell until after the picture if I had actually gotten the moon. I had a wonderful time!

    I did go to Nashville in 2017 to see the full eclipse there. Both thrilled me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions