First Pressure Canning Project with my own Tomatoes

 The garden has been gifting us pounds and pounds of plum tomatoes.  I put them in freezer bags and then into the freezer.  Once I had enough I took them out to thaw.  Skins fall right off (and those went into the dehydrator, I will make tomato powder with them later)

I had a total of 14 cups of tomatoes. 



I then cooked them down, just tomatoes and dried italian spice.  While this was cooking I started to heat 4 quart jars.  Doing a hot pack.  Added citric acid (food grade) and salt to the jar before adding the tomatoes. 

One jar did not seal properly (after 24 hours of cooling) so I put it in the fridge and we used it the next day. 


I typically use this recipe for a base for other recipes.  Soups, Stews.  Very happy with this project


Comments