Running two businesses, a home, caring for elders, loving my husband all while dealing with Chronic Illness

 

I don't talk about this much but I have Crohn's Disease.  A chronic auto immune disease that affects my entire digestive system from mouth to other end.  A flare could involve pain, both digestive and joint.  Exhaustion.  Dehydration.  Ulcers, bleeding, constant bathroom trips.  Twice I have had vision issues, that are rare with Crohns, but have happened.  Blurred double vision and a 'mad eye moody' situation, where my left eye becomes independent of my right.   In retrospect there has been evidence I had this disease since childhood, but it was only diagnosed in 2007 whilst dealing with another major health issue.  

The last several weeks have been a whirlwind.  Recital, Wedding of a student where I was the music director and I played.  Purging 'store' with a tag sale and donations to replan our etsy and ebay shoppes with new to me products in our online shops.  Having an intern at the studio who is a brilliant musician and also a special needs adult.  

DH loves the movies, and every weekend I ask if he would like to go to a drive in or the local cinema.  Most of the time he says no, which makes me feel bad.  He says no because he knows it's not my thing.  But we should go!   He loves it, and we have a membership with Cinemark, and lots of credits to use.  This past weekend, we did go to the movies the day after the wedding (and after a 5 hour special needs Saturday). Financial score was no money OOP as they let us use ticket credits for snacks too.   It pushed me over the edge.  My body said enough. 

Pain, exhaustion, headache, sore throat, chills.  No fever.  Not covid (and come on, 3 times is enough) No appetite, just want to sleep.  I lied low yesterday and only taught a few hours.  I truly feel it's just my body saying slow down!

But life doesn't stop.  So Wednesday morning, after a good solid nights sleep I felt well enough to:

Do a load of darks (I did ask my DS to bring it up from dryer...DH had brought the hamper down for me last night) 

Roast chicken, fennel, beets and radishes.  Also threw a pound of sausage in a separate pan.  Load and Run dishwasher.  Now I'm sitting with my feet up with all food packed away, meal ready to go to the studio with me at noon and day planned for my intern.  Drinking some lemon balm iced tea. So refreshing. 

But I am exhausted.  Still have to shower, pack car, get to studio.  Going to leave at Noon instead of 11 am.  Hoping I don't miss the farm share drop off, hoping they will leave it at the door if I'm not there in time.  They have been coming around 4 pm.  I teach straight through from 2-7 today.  A shorter day.  Yes, a shorter day.  

I was able to sit most of my teaching day.  Virtual students and duet work made it easier for me today.  I got home, had a snack and drank more water.   Bed by 1030 and slept straight through until 530.  Today (Thursday) I feel much better.  

It was hard for me to rest so much, but it did help.  I'm learning to listen to my body.  Be well readers!  I have linked the Crohn's Colitis Foundation website in the first paragraph if you want more information. 

Comments

  1. Listening to your body is such a critical thing. I have an autoimmune disease as well (Lupus), and can fall into the trap of pushing myself too hard, and then really regretting it. For me, sleep is the number one element to a healthy life. Without high quality & consistently enough sleep, everything else sort of falls apart.

    Fingers crossed you are able to get back on track & feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions