City Seed Edgwood Park Farmers Market Opened Date Morning with Hubby

 


The official lettuce toss to start up the season

I don't come to the farmers market as often as we did pre-2020.  So many things have changed.  I'm still on the mailing list, and when I read the Opening Day News for the market at Edgewood Park I was happy to see that not only two of our favorite bakeries (SoNo from South Norwalk and Olma from New Haven) were returning, but there was a host of new farms.  

I plan on visiting once a month, to share the bargains that can be had (and there were some great prices to be had on produce this day)

In anticipation of lines at SoNo Bakery, I proactively called to preorder and pay for 2 dozen English Muffins.  These will be squirreled away in the freezer, individually wrapped.  Also giving the Uncle half a dozen, which should last him for several weeks, as he only eats half at a time.  I also purchased my husband two of his favorite tomato foccacia, which I know he will enjoy.   This preorder was $79.00

At Sono Bakery we also purchased a delicious Raisin Cinnamon Bread for Pops.  Prices have gone up, this bread was $9.00.   Was this frugal? NO.  Was it Saving Money? NO.  But it was an enjoyable few hours out with my DH, AND English Muffins take two days to make properly.  So, it saved me time.  

While waiting in Sono's line, we saw many people walking with cardboard trays holding two donuts.  Magical Fantasia LLC was the next booth we went to.  She had many different style of donuts all fried puffs filled with sweet goodness.  DH chose rasperry filled and chocolate filled.  I had a bite of each.  Melt in your mouth goodness.  $5.00 for the two donuts.  I hope to have more info in the future on this small business.  Here is the maker of all the tasty morsels.  She also had lovely honey sweetened cookies in many flavors.  

Next was Olmo Bakery, DH's favorite bagels.  They are all savory bagels.  We chose plain, everything everything, cheese, onion and sesame.  Total of 13 bagels and an 8 oz container of cinnamon raisin schmear (cream cheese) was $27

All of the above bakery items were special treats.   I count them as our date day expense.  The below items are accounted for in our grocery budget.    I got a pound of beautiful snap peas for $6.00 from this farmer, I am almost positive the name of this farm is New World Order  



and sunflower microgreens from Root Life Urban Farm freshly picked for $5.00. 


At the market there was asparagus, lots of assorted greens, radishes, microgreens, fresh pressed juices, strawberries, early onions and flowers.  It was a great opening day, and I look forward to visiting again the first weekend in July. 



Comments