Canning the Tomatoes


 I have been freezing the San Marzano and Amish Paste tomatoes as I harvest them.  I will be using the Ball Canning Recipe for canning whole tomatoes.  I may dice one batch.  I plan on using quart jars.   I will be water bath canning. 



It's amazing that so many tomatoes (over 40 lbs) only processed into 5 quarts.  I did cold pack.  

I ran my jars and rings in the dishwasher and then kept them in hot water while prepping the tomatoes.  I also washed all lids and utensils in very hot water by hand.  All items were put on top of clean towels. 

My sister is here, and she peeled the tomatoes (skins literally fell off for the most part, due to freezing) 

In each jar I put 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice.  I then packed whole tomatoes into each jar, pressing down gently to release some juice from them.  I released air bubbles, and measured 1/2" head space.  Added a teaspoon of canning salt.  Put on lids and finger tightened the rings.  

I processed for 75 minutes at a rolling boil.  I then took off lid and let them rest for 5 minutes before removing them from the pot.  Cool for 12-24 hours on counter/table.   Removed the rings, and double checked the lid for fluctuation and that I could not finger pull the lid off.

2 jars were done on the stove, and 3 jars were done on the outside canning stove.  Yes, I could have done them all together, but it was a timing issue.  


First time I did this without my master canner friend.  I'm pleased with the outcome




Comments