What's Been Cooking

On a surprise Sunday drive we found a farmstand in Massachusetts 
It was a great small store on the man's home property, complete with chickens and dog. 
I loved that it was an honor system, not something you see much up here. 
He was in the store when we were there, and we had a great chat. 

DH saw a sign by the road and he turned around saying they have 
fiddleheads!



Fiddlehead Ferns are a late spring delicacy only around for a few weeks.  
I bought a pound for $12 and a bunch of scapes for $3
Worth every penny.  I blanched the ferns, then added scape greens and a few bulbs sliced thin.  Olive oil and yum.  Have had two meals of them so far, with more to go. 


Asparagus and Rabe from my garden


Roasted Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks

I also got a small roast, which I browned later in the week and then did in the instant pot for 20 minutes with Beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, green onion from the garden and garlic.  Came out rare just as DH hoped.  I wasn't home when he and Pops devoured it (it was small by usual standards) with baked potatoes and frozen vegetable mix. 

    What has been going on in your kitchen?
 

Comments

  1. I thought fiddleheads were worms, and those looked like great green worms. I will finally cook meat tonight--pork roast, two packages ground beef, and bscb. Then, I won't have to cook meat for a while. I will freeze much of it to get out later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions