Our New Farm Share Farmer Joe's Wallingford CT

 Since I'm growing (and hope to harvest) so much this year, we decided as a back up we would do a Medium Farm Share with Farmer Joe.     Joe's nephew is a student at the studio, and I've known that he and our students'father both owned farms with CSA programs.    Joe's farm is in the town of our music studio, and they deliver in town, so this seemed like a no brainer.  

Though not a certified organic farm, Joe uses ethical and sustainable practices.  Very happy with the weekly newsletters, videos and recipes I get via email.   Here is why he is a good choice, taken from his website. 

Why you want us to be your farm

We’re glad you asked! We believe that you can go a long way in helping us protect the environment, spread the word on eating clean, and encourage healthier lifestyles. By joining our community, you also:

  • Support local and ethical agricultural practices while reducing your carbon footprint.
  • Enjoy the freshest and tastiest produce lovingly harvested and prepared by our wonderful farm team.
  • Enjoy a steady supply of fresh produce that pampers your tastebud and nourishes your body.
  • Gain newfound excitement and appreciation for gardening and colorful floral blooms.
  • Learn more about the agricultural processes involved in bringing delicious food to your plates.
  • Meet like-minded individuals with a passion for farming and gardening practices.
  • Develop a bond with your young ones as you raise chickens together and chase them around the backyard.
  • Benefit directly from experienced farming methods. We are a multi-award-winning farm with accolades such as National Outstanding Young Farmer of the Year, CT Outstanding Young Farmer, NRCS (two times). What this really means is that we prioritize quality at our farm, and we will continue to provide you with the most memorable CSA experience.

 I spent the same amount for the season that I used to do with the organic farm pre C-v-d.   I will be getting a medium share (that is customizable) weekly, and every other week I will be getting milk and yogurt added.  I also have banked an additional $120.00 for the year to use towards other items.  

I will be getting my first share delivery next week.  Based on my preferences that I filled out when I registered they were offering me spinach, 1/2 lb locally made cheddar, oyster mushrooms and a bag of fresh ground flour.  

I do have a plethora of flour right now, so I swapped it for a rosemary plant.  I also added a locally baked sourdough bread that will come sliced.  The swap and the bread took $9.99 out of my banked funds.  The plant was a bit more expensive than the flour, so I had to pay the difference.  There were many different choices if I wanted to swap things out.  Locally made pasta sauce, 5 choices of breads, 2 pie choices, lettuce, various herb plants. 

I am excited for this new opportunity and will be sharing it each week with you.  I am no way affiliated or connected with this farm other than I have mentioned.  I am not being compensated by the farm to share their information.  

Comments

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions