March Grocery Purchases are you Stocking Up?

 So much talk about wheat shortages, chicken and egg shortages due to bird flu, raising prices due to shipping costs.   Are you stocking up?  I'm starting to add 5 stockpile items in each shopping trip. 

Spending my Four Pieces of Silver

Shoprite  $28.10   4 one pound organic ground pork packages at 3.99 a pound and a twin pack of London Broil that I divided into two ziploc bags. 

BJ's Wholesale $51.24  4 lb yellow rice, 6 cans refried beans, 4 large cans baked beans, McCormick Brown Gravy Mix and large box dried mashed potatoes (for a pinch and to make potato rolls)

Stop and Shop $48.76 4 Cases and 3 gallons of water.  Chips and ingredients to make dips and ice cream.  Treats for the month, and all were on sale. 

Big Y $31.50 Rye Bread, Scones, Cookies (yes, again with the sweets...why i usually don't go in stores....it's like a personal joke between me and DH) Two bottles of barbecue sauce, whole chicken and a fresh pork shoulder.  Both meats were .77 a pound limit one. 

Walmart.  93.20 - Ibotta 19.58  This was a big score.  Had $70 in gift cards from students over the holidays.  Saved it to use now.   My OOP was a whopping $3.62 .  Three pounds Onions, Two pounds of baby carrots, Eight pounds of Jumbo Russet Potatoes, Two pounds of block Mozzarella and 16 ounces of Ricotta.  22 ounce package of Oscar Mayer Bacon,  4 packages of La Moderna Elbow Macaroni, 2.25 lbs of Mozzarella sticks, Two 32 ounce Parmalat Whole Milk, 20 pounds of Long Grain Rice, 16 count Pop Tarts (Ibotta full price back) Smartfood Popcorn 6.75 ounce (Ibotta full price back) Ritz Toasted Chips Crackers Sour Cream and Onion (Ibotta full price back) 2L Mug Rootbeer (Ibotta full price back) 48 ounce can of Butter Flavored Crisco, 2.52 lbs of Nido Fortifacada Dry Whole Milk, Pound of butter, 4.5 dozen eggs. 

Last minute shop for gluten free items as my sister is coming to visit.  She hasn't been here in over 2 years.  I also got some other items for us.  Mainly things for her. So, I am counting this under eating out and entertainment budget, and not listing it here. 

Stop and Shop 42.77 I do order pickup, and this time it was a real score.  Order pickup gives you substitutes that are equal or BETTER than what I ordered.  I ordered SS chicken thighs that were on sale 1.99 lb.  They were out.  I received 4.5 lbs of Bell and Evans thighs for the same price.  cole slaw mix and cole slaw dressing.  Ground Beef 3.5 # which was using a store coupon for 2.99 lb.  3 lbs of Italian Sausage. 2 lbs of shredded mexican cheese, pint heavy cream, quart light cream, 4.3 lbs of broccoli rabe, 2 lbs of broccoli and 3 lbs of clementines.  

Aldi 30.96  2 half gallon cartons of almond milk (unsweetened vanilla), 2 packs onion bagels (Gpa P is enjoying them) cinnamon bread (this too) 5 vegetable cans, OJ, tomatoes, pie crust and avocados. 

Stop and Shop 35.31 4 pounds of cabbage 15 pounds of potatoes (we have been eating a lot more of these lately) 2 corned beef flat cut, one just under 4 pounds and the other at 5 pounds.  Case of water(stock pile)    Freezing one of the Corned Beef. 

Aldi 50.22 (3) bags of  Bagels, 3 lbs of Manderin Oranges, bananas, carrots, celery, pie crusts (I still haven't mastered this skill) Veggie Straws,  Crab Dip, Prepared Heluva Onion Dip (never thought I'd say this, but Pops hasn't been eating much and I know he will eat this dip instead of what I make with veggies) 32 ounce plain greek yogurt (to try and make own bagels) 2 loaves breads,  2 lbs. Turkey for sandwiches. lb of sausage.  This should carry us into April. 

$322.48 spent.  $72.48 over my March Goal.  I'm hoping to make more bread items in April to cut these mid month purchases.  I have been working more in the garden which has taken me away from baking.

Purchases for birthday meals come from a separate budget.  

Comments

  1. I guess I've sort of stockpiled ground beef, at least for our needs. It was in sale cheap at a local c store market so I've just bought more. I'm also keeping more canned goods I guess. I won't hoard TP, but I replace a multi pack shortly after one is opened so I basically know I have two in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been stocking up too! When I see a good deal, I snap them right up. Why pay more when you don't have to. We all learned a valuable lesson during covid, be prepared. I could last a year if needed other than dog food. I need to get more of that for the stockpile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been stocking up since I heard about covid in China before it came here. I buy loss leaders, buy sales, bogo, and use coupons. We eat well, eat leftovers. Actually, I plan to cook enough for meals for a few days and proteins to freeze.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions