USDA Food Cost Averages Compared from December 2020 to December 2021

 Every month, the USDA posts 4 food cost plans.  Thrifty, Low Cost, Moderate and Liberal.   I and a lot of my frugal minded friends and acquaintances try to be well below the thrifty.  

For my immediate household I have to men and myself daily, and my mother and uncle once or twice a month.    According to this 2020 December chart I would pay $521.70 per month for the thrifty.  

Flash ahead to 2021 December.  According to the below chart the thrifty plan for my immediate household $659.30.   That is a monthly increase of $137.60.  26.4% higher!

Honestly, our own income had gone down in 2021.  Unless we find some great low cost GREAT sale profit we would never be able to cover a monthly food increase of over $130.00 If these numbers were (are?) accurate there is room for concern.  



Comments

  1. Sometimes official numbers don't jibe with the real world. I don't spend $130 more than in 2020.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions