Check Local Events for inexpensive and educational entertainment



We recently attended a historical re-enactment hosted by the Wallingford Historical Trust 
that was held at the Johnson Mansion in Wallingford.  For a suggested donation of $5 (we gave $20) we were able to talk to people who enjoyed keeping the trades of old alive.  

I was able to speak with a woman who was spinning, who I found out also was a part of the Nutmeg Spinners Guild.  Her name was Terri Guerette, and I loved speaking with her.  Her website is www.TerriSpins.com and she does classes and workshops. 

Another woman was weaving baskets, and another weaving fabric.  Definitely to much for me to even consider doing.   Still fun to learn about, and to watch in action. 

DH was more interested in the weapons and discussion of past battles.  Above is a photo of a man demonstrating a musket.  It was LOUD. 

Inside we could tour the rooms (so beautiful) and talk with a 'Medical Person' from the civil war era.  He had equipment with him that was used during the time period, and explained why so many limbs were removed (no way to do surgery to remove bone/weapon fragments)  He also talked of leeches, bleeding, other forms of treatment.  So glad we are in 2018. 

In the basement is the Silver Museum.  They rotate items that were made in Wallingford and Meriden which is known as the Silver City. 

I didn't get to go to the upper rooms as the Uncle was getting tired.   I will definitely go back. 


Comments

  1. I look for these venues. Hopefully, I can find free ones, too. there are many days that $5 is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had many years where I was in the same boat Linda .

      Delete
  2. Cool! sounds like you had a great visit, even if cut a bit short.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions