Preserving the herb harvest

Every morning I pick whatever herbs look best including in this category the tops to my onions.

I pick them off the stems, watch them and then wrap them and linen towels to dry them off. I try to pick enough each day to make it worth my while.



Since I’ve been using the oven more either to bake cakes or fish, or utilize the warmth after those items are cooking to dry the herbs.

I placed the washed and dried off and herbs on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and just put them in the oven with a residual heat. I leave them in there until the oven close to ha since I’ve been using the oven more either to bake cakes or fish, or utilize the warmth after those items are cooking to dry the herbs.


I placed the washed and dried off herbs on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and just put them in the oven with a residual heat. I leave them in there until the oven cools off.     I then glass them up.  

Here are onion tops.  



Here is basil and oregano combined.  

I will crush these up after I dry a second batch.  I add a bit of black pepper and sea salt for an Italian blend.

Comments

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions