Chia Seed Pudding


I have been trying to eat better, and in turn give my family more tasty healthy foods to eat.  The main problem is that I enjoy simple plan foods, and the majority of the household prefers salt/fried/processed.  Slowly I'm turning them around, but it hasn't been easy.

My first experiment with Chia seeds was this no cook pudding.  I first read about this idea on the One Hungry Mama website .

I tweaked it a bit.  Instead of the honey I used 5 drops of vanilla stevia.




Instead of the cup of coconut milk, I used half a cup of lite coconut milk and half a cup of water.





1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 4 tablespoons of organic chia seeds.  After overnight it hadn't set up enough, so I added 2 more tablespoons and waited another 12 hours before tasting.





Mixed together it looked like this



Overnight in the fridge it looked like this



I enjoyed the texture and the taste.  It had just a hint of vanilla and sweetness.  Does have the consistency of tapioca with a bit of a crunch.  I probably would put a few more drops of stevia into it.  My food nutrition breakdown for half a cup is 118 calories, 9 g of carbs, 7 g of fat, 5 g protein, 7 g of fiber and 46 g sodium. 

A winner in my book!

Comments

  1. I'm allergic to dairy so this would work well for me. I try to cut it out completely but it is just so hard. I have been craving yogurt with oatmeal in it. This might work as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it Sonya Ann. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions