Best Bread I have ever made

I have been doing weekly experiments with wheat breads.  This week was Kefir Whey Whole Wheat Honey Bread.

I mixed 4 cups of whole wheat with 2 cups of 2% kefir whey leftover from making Kefir Cheese.  I added one (okay perhaps two) TBSP of local honey.  I mixed this all up (I added probably another 1/4 cup of white flour to make it a bit more elastic) and then put it into a greased glass bowl, covering it with a clean tea cloth.

I waited two days.  It had more than doubled in size.  I punched it down last night at around 9 p.m., putting it into a greased bread pan.  I again covered it.

At wake up this morning it had risen to almost the edge of the bread pan.  I put it in the oven at 350 for 58 minutes.  I test by knocking on it.








It was the most delicious bread I have ever made (in terms of savory)  I got a hint of honey in odor and taste.  The crust was very crispy, but the inside was moist and chewy (and very bubbly as you can see)  It was still a very heavy bread, I think I need to use part white bread flour and not just whole wheat.  But the chew/crust/taste was AMAZING if I do say so myself.

Since Gpa P is away in florida for another week, I won't get anyone else's opinion.  DH won't eat wheat bread.

Comments