Fall Decorations become Winter soup starter

So, what do you do with all those pumpkins you have decorating your house/porch/yard?

I cook mine!  Ok, not all of them.  The large oversized jack o lantern bigger than the dog one that I put my hand through when I went to pick it up (gag ewwwwwwwwwww moment) went into the compost box.

The still in perfect shape but not a sugar pumpkin I put into one of the raised beds to see if it will seed in the spring.

And here is what I did with the sugar pumpkins.  Did I cut up/peel/dice them?  No way.  I poked one hole in each of them after I washed them and threw them into a convection 375 degree oven.   For 90 minutes.   And aren't they pretty?

Just cut the top off and start scooping out the delicious squashiness.  The first pumpkin was perfect, everything came right off the skin.

The second one probably could have gone a bit more, it was a bit watery.  But still good!

All empty!  I was able to freeze 3 gallon bags full!  Nice for spiced pumpkin soup.

Comments