Foraging at Massaro Farm and my backyard!


I took a class on Foraging at Massaro Farm.  Here are some photos from the class as well as what I found in my own backyard. 

Bittersweet  Do NOT eat


Below in one of my home flower beds
is Purslane.  It is the rounded leaf semi
succulent at the top of the photo.  Good
steamed or raw.  Below it to the left
is crabgrass.  

                                                                                                           






The large leaves protruding from the grass is 
broad leaf plantain.  Also good raw or steamed. 
Can also help with itching when pulverized (or chewed into a paste) 
and put on the effected area. 

'violin strings' when you pull the stem
off of broadleaf plantain.  I liked that!

Wild grapes (like to grow with poison ivy)
not only do they produce fruit, but you can
also eat the tendrils.  I found it to be very
bitter. 


Above is burdock.  It looks a lot like 
rhubarb.  Used for medicinal purposes. 


It was an interesting afternoon!








Comments