Pork Stew

Again I used my handy dandy crockpot.  I have several sizes, this is the one I use when I know I am cooking mainly for my Father.  

Though he has been having a few good days of NOT over eating, Dad does sometimes forget that 3 other people live in the house and need to have a meal once in a while.  It is not unusual for him to be planning his lunch while cooking breakfast, or eating his lunch making the comment that he will take a rest and then have lunch.  It has proven frustrating at time, and the partly the catalyst for me trying to find ways to stretch the food dollar.  

So today I made pork stew. Or I should say I dumped everything I prepped at earlier times into the pot and went to the studio. 

Several weeks ago Jay cooked a large pork roast.  We had purchased it at BJ's for 1.89 a lb.  I believe it was eighteen dollars.  He cut two roasts and pork chops from it.    When we had gotten a few plates from the original cooking (this means that we probably had dinner and then dad might have had two other plates) I diced the rest of the meat and put it in the freezer. 

So, Friday night I took the ziplock bag of pork out of the freezer, and then prepared my veggies.  4 stalks of celery chopped, one large onion diced, can of corn drained, half of pound of carrots diced, can of navy beans drained and rinsed all put into a tupperware.  

At 5 a.m. I dumped the veggies, the pork, then added one package of Campbells Slow Cooker Sauce
Moroccan Spiced Stew (free).    Two 32 ounce boxes of Shoprite Organic Broth (can can sale two for $3.00)  It was ready for Dad to have for lunch (and he ate some more with bread for dinner)  There is probably 2 single serving bowls left.  But it was a good use of leftovers and cheaply purchased products. 


I know, i know, you are thinking why is she using a prepared product?  Not something I normally do, however I was pleasantly surprised with the ingredients list in these sauces (though this is the only one I purchase, and ONLY when it is on sale at Target for 1.99 and I combine a manufacturers coupon with a Target coupon making it free!  I stocked up with 6 the last time I was able to do the deal)

Here are the ingredients of this sauce:

Water, Green Olives (Olives, Water, Salt, Lactic Acid), Onions, Modified Food Starch, Garlic, Cilantro, Contains Less Than 2% of: Spice, Salt, Smoked Paprika, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Flavoring, Citric Acid, Turmeric For Color, Roasted Ginger (Contains Safflower Oil), Beta Carotene For Color.



Comments