Back to cooking

Easy 4 ingredient French bread.  Not a total fail, but not a true success either.
 
yeast, honey, salt, water, flour....hmmmm, that's five.  LOL  Maybe salt doesn't count? I am going with the water doesn't count. 
 
Anyway, I cut the salt way back, and it was definitely missing.  I went by feel of the water temperature, and think that's perhaps why the dough (though it doubled in size) wasn't as airy inside.  Was actually quite dense.  Maybe I didn't knead it enough?  I followed the recipe to the letter.  The crust was nice, though not browned enough, I think the next time I do it I would do a baking soda/water wash.  I also think though it doubled in size, my house wasn't warm enough to really get the rise going. 
 
To give full credit, I found this recipe on mymundaneandmiraculouslife.com
 
I will definitely try it again as it is easy.
 



 
One of my favorite Amish treats/breakfasts is baked oatmeal.  I ate it when there every day, and brought some home.  I decided it was time to make it myself.  Next time I will make it in a round casserole dish.  I was very pleased with the outcome. 
 
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar (original recipe called for a full cup)
1.5 cups of almond milk (I don't use dairy except for occasional hard cheese and yogurt)
3 cups of oats (I used old fashioned)
1.5 tsp vanilla
Baked for 40 minutes 350




 
Next time I will add blueberries or dried peaches.  It was delicious, and here is the breakdown of calories

 
I roasted a chicken

 
Made stock with the neck and veggie peelings

 
Made soup with the meat of one leg quarter and wings, carrots, celery, onion, colonial seasoning mix, half a carton of rice from leftover Chinese food
 
 
 
Sauce on the stove as we are home today
 
 
I have a baguette and will make ziti for DH and a few raviolis for Gpa P
 
We had shrimp with rice on Sunday (I cooked) with the last of our frozen farmers market broccoli
 
and DH made salmon on Monday with rice and broccoli
 
On Sunday I also made tuna and egg salads (hid them in garage fridge) for DH's work lunches.
 

Comments

  1. How/where did you rise the bread dough? I learned the trick of putting my rising rolls(assume bread would respond in kind) on the tray in an oven, with a large, 4 cup Pyrex of hot water on the lower shelf below. My batch of rolls rose so beautifully! Soon, I will try this with bread. hth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just on the counter. I am going to try your idea next time. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and contributions