Meat Purchase Score and other shopping

I haven't been posting much, have been busy with life and gardening, I'll do a post about the garden later in the week when I can get good pictures.

I haven't done any new baking or recipes in the past week or so.  We have been eating out of the freezer and pantry.  Haven't even been checking the sales flyers.   But we were starting to get low on too many things, so I read through the flyers this week with gusto.

I now have many 'will only pay this' prices for items.  I.E.  I only buy eggs if we can get them for .99 a dozen.     Shoprite had a coupon in their flyer for that price on vegan eggs  if you spent 25 dollars.  So I did get those.  I also will only buy ice cream if I get it for .99.  Again, Shoprite came through for that (just as I was hearing the calls of 'aren't you going to buy any ice cream?'

So, at Shoprite this week I spent 32.50 after coupons (both store and manufacturer)  I got 3 28 packs (bonus 4 bottles in each pack) of Poland Springs water for $12.00 plus deposit.  We were down to just two bottles.  I am now trying to drink more tap water with lemon, so that we can save more on this not so frugal or good for the planet purchases.  I can't get everyone else to do it, but I can do my part.

I got three boxes of Special K for $4.98 after coupons, Ajax laundry detergent (also .99) 4 mullers mango yogurt for DD (3.00 after coupon) Escarole which is cooking as I type for just .71 cents (.60 a pound, great price!)  this was not in the flyer, but I'm learning shoprite rotates a cooking green for an unbelievable price in the East Haven store.  I've gotten Broccoli Rabe for .89 a pound, I stock up when that happens, and cook and freeze)

Two Yo Crunch greek yogurt for DH, Minute Maid OJ (from concentrate, oh well) .99.  Still doesn't seem like much for that price.

Today I went to three other stores (doing laundry and baking a lavender bread for Margaret H...I had to give the last one I baked to Nicole P as Margaret and I didn't meet up)  This is what I got:

Stop and Shop I spent 57.35.  More than i intended, but I did buy a few unplanned deals to try.  I'm learning that it's ok to go over the monthly budget IF it's a good deal, we will eat it, and it's really going towards the next month which is what this will be.  4 Minute Maid Lemonades, priced $5.00, but I found a coupon online and got it down to my go to price of 1.00 each.  Two more Ore Ida fries/hasbrowns, we will now get $5.00 back from Saving Star.  I haven't tried to make homemade baked beans yet, so when I saw B & M 16 ounce cans on sale for .88 I bought eight cans.  Two jars chichi's salsa $3.00 after coupons.  Two Kraft dressings dollar each after coupons.  Grey Poupon Course Ground, on sale for 2.99.  This was a want of mine.  Sparkle Big Roll 6 pack 2.99 after coupons.  Garden Delight Zucchini Souffle (i love these, but they are not cheap.  I can make a quiche so much cheaper )but I did have a $2.00 coupon about to expire, so I bought one for 1.29.  Not so bad for a carry to studio lunch.  Then I bought three packages of meat from the gourmet section (where the butcher is)  I got two (2 breasts in each package) of marinated barbecue chicken and one (two loins) of pork marinated in bourbon sauce.  I thought they'd be a nice treat if we were just cooking for two of us.  4 servings of the chicken, 6 servings of the pork.  $2.00 off each pack.  Not the best after coupon cost (16.00) but they are for in a pinch.

It was Big Y where I scored big.  I'm learning to check out the meat departments the last day of a flyer.  I also have learned to check just before the end of a month.  Today was both of those points.  My bill was $49.71 after on meat coupons.  I saved 42% of the original prices.   I got three packages of country style pork ribs, two packages of Lamberti Sweet Sausage coils, One Angus Rib Eye Bone In, Two Angus Rib Eye boneless, two Shoulder London Broils and one Top Round London Broil.  Total without Card 86.47 - card savings of 11.64 minus on meat coupons savings of $25.00!  If we can continue to portion out these meats in a sensible size (still working on Gpa Paul to remember there are four of us here) I have more than enough meat between this and the chicken/fish in freezer for two months!

Now, if BJ's warehouse will just reduce those Hams from Easter!  I'd be in heaven.  They are almost at their sell by dates, so I check every few days.

I think I did ok, what do you think?

Comments